• Agropoli (SA) Italy
  • +39 335 304392

Agropoli and surroundings

...a suggestive scenary

The area of Agropoli has been inhabited by humans since ancient times. The Neolithic Age saw the arrival of peoples who devoted themselves to hunting and fishing.
In the VI century the Byzantines designed fortifications, giving the promontory the name of "Akropolis" (high town).
The historical centre of Agropoli stands on the top of the promontory and has remained intact, together with most of the surrounding defensive walls and the seventh-century entrance portal. This area is accessible by going up old steps ("scaloni") leading to a monumental entrance portal, still intact.

Paestum (7 km)
Paestum (Latin name of ancient Paistom) is an old town of Magna Graecia, devoted to the worship of Poseidon (hence the name Poseidonia), Hera and Athena. The town was called Pesto until 1926, when it was given the present name.
This area, whose extension is still visible, is surrounded by Greek walls which hold the typical Lucan and Roman structure.

Castellabate (10 km)
Castellabate is a medieval village, included in the list of "The most beautiful villages in Italy". Located in the National Park of Cilento and Vallo di Diano, Castellabate is UNESCO World Heritage.

Velia (30 km)
Elea (Greek: Ελα?α) is an ancient town of Magna Graecia, called Velia by the Romans. It was founded by a group of Focei escaping Persian military power in Ionia (on the coast of present Turkey, near the Gulf of Smyrna) in the VI century b. C. The foundation of the town took place after the Battle of Alaia between the Focei from Alaia and an Etruscan and Carthaginian coalition around 541-535 BC.

Salerno (45 km)
Salerno, capital of the province of the same name, was the seat of the "Schola Medica Salernitana", the first European medical school at the beginning of the Middle Ages (IX century).

The Amalfi Coast (50 km)
The Amalfi Coast is a stretch of coastline, south of the Sorrentine Peninsula, in the Gulf of Salerno.

Capri
Capri is an island in the Gulf of Naples off the Sorrentine Peninsula.

Pompeii and Herculaneum (85 km)
These ancient towns were tragically destroyed and buried in the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD. Their excavations are UNESCO World Heritage.

San Lorenzo’s Charterhouse in Padula (90 km)
San Lorenzo’s Charterhouse, located in Padula, is the largest charterhouse in Italy and UNESCO World Heritage. Founded by Tommaso Sanseverino in Baroque style in 1306, this famous building has an extension of 51.500 sq metres and more than 320 rooms. The monastery has the biggest cloister in the world (covering 12.000 sq metres) and is surrounded by 84 columns. It also houses the provincial archaeological museum of Western Lucania.
Via Risorgimento, 139
84043 Agropoli (SA)
Phone: +39 335 304392